Grout Cleaning Tips by Tile Tools
- Hydrogen PeroxideHydrogen Peroxide has a tendency to discolor things (especially fabrics), but it does a wonderful job of disinfecting. Dilute and spray it on; let it sit for 15 min.; then wipe clean.Warning: Do not use with Bleach.
- White VinegarDilute with 2 parts vinegar, 1 part water. Spray it on; let stand for 15 min, wipe clean with a very damp sponge using a baking soda/water solution to neutralize the acidity of vinegar, then wipe clean water using a damp sponge.
General Grout Cleaning Tips Glendale az:
- First clean the grout with water to remove loose surface debris and allow to dry
- Don’t use bleach on colored grout, bleach will discolor the grout.
- Don’t clean granite or natural stone with household but commercial cleaners.
- When cleaning with acids such as vinegar, be aware that grout often contains cement which is alkaline. There are also plenty of natural stone tiles that have alkaline properties such as marble and travertine. Commercial or Residential tile cleaning with acids can and will etch away the surface.If you’re determined to clean with acids, always test an out-of-the-way spot, rinse thoroughly, and use baking soda to neutralize the acid.
- Use a stiff nylon brush for cleaning, metal bristles will scratch the grout and the tile and make your efforts look dreadful. Toothbrushes are OK but the bristles are generally too soft Peoria az.
- Use protective gloves, and safety glasses with working with any chemical-based grout cleaner. Even if you don’t think you need it, your spouse will generally find you more attractive when you’re in uniform Glendale.
- Test on a small area not easily visible to traffic. Don’ skip this test because it takes extra time, you might just find that your old grout doesn’t like chemical cleaners (especially true on old and damaged grout). Also take note that while cleaning your grout you’re bound to get the cleaning solution on the tile as well. Slate, marble travertine and limestone are generally sensitive to acids.
- Don’t mix residential chemicals cleaners together. Bleach and Ammonia create the same type of Chlorine Gas that was used as a chemical weapon in WW2! If you mix Bleach and Hydrogen Peroxide, you end up with saltwater with oxygen bubbles (saltwater soda anyone?) which isn’t a very effective cleaner if you ask me peoria.
- When you’re done cleaning, keep it cleaner, longer, by applying a couple coats of grout sealer. Grout sealer will break down after repeated cleanings, and using high pH or low pH cleaners such as bleach (alkaline) or vinegar (acid) will only hasten this process. So at the very least, a fresh coat of grout sealer should be applied every year Peoria.
- If you end up removing grout, make sure you’re wearing a dust mask, any material manufactured before the mid 1980′s should be assumed to contain asbestos unless you can verify otherwise.*Even though I can’t think of any grout that ever contained asbestos, I can think of plenty of tiles, linoleum flooring, and many other materials that loved to take advantage of the heat, electrical, and chemical resistance this crystalline mineral possessed.Scientists and manufacturers knew plenty about its positive qualities, but it wasn’t until the 1980′s that science confirmed it’s cancer-causing toxic quality and banned its use.
- And while you’re at it don’t forget that if you’re on your hands and knees, it’s never a bad idea to kneel on something soft or wear somekneepads.